Going Abroad

If you fear you might be forced into a marriage overseas it’s recommended you don’t agree to travel. There’s a danger you may be isolated or be put under emotional pressure. You may be under constant supervision without any money, your passport or ticket home, and you may be unable to get to a telephone.

If you or the person in concern have not yet traveled overseas and are worried for your safety, get in touch with an agency or a service provider that can help you. You can contact the local police, a school guidance counselor, a social service agency, or a community legal clinic.

If you decide to go, or feel you don’t have a choice, there are things you can do to ensure your safety:

Provide a trusted person with:

  • Address and telephone number of where you are going to stay
  • Your passport details
  • All your flight details (there and back)You should also:
  • Register with the government prior to traveling by filling out the “Registration for Canadians” form. You can be assisted in the case of an emergency, including issuing passports, transportation and assisting with a safe return to Canada.
  • Keep some emergency cash with you
  • Carry the contact information of the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate.If you are overseas and require assistance, you can contact a Canadian embassy or consulate abroad, through the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) [www.travel.gc.ca]. For a list of Canadian embassies click here.While abroad you can email for help at sos@international.gc.ca or call the Emergency Operations Centre if in North America at 1-800-267-6788 or call collect from anywhere in the world at 1-613-996-8885.It is important to note that a person’s immigration status will impact the type of options available to them if they are forced to marry while abroad. Canadian embassies abroad offer assistance primarily to Canadian citizens.Permanent residents and temporary residents may need to explore additional options, including independent, advocacy and non-governmental organizations located outside of Canada that may provide assistance to victims of forced marriages. The services of these organizations are available to citizens and non-citizens, and may include the provision of shelter, referral services and advocacy on behalf of the victim.

    “Going abroad” information taken from here.