Referral Resources for Service Providers

The following services and resources may be able to assist you or your client who is involved in, or at risk of, a forced marriage. It is important, when referring clients to other agencies or services, to ensure that they have the knowledge and expertise to respond to forced marriages, and understand that the victim’s entire family may be involved (e.g., if a female client accesses a transition house, staff should be mindful that a female relative may also be able to gain access). To our knowledge, local services, including those below, are not specifically trained to respond to forced marriage. You may need to relay any forced marriage associated risks that you are aware of.

Burnaby Family Life and MOSAIC staff have participated in a pilot training on responding to forced marriages. The training was guided by this risk assessment framework and delivered by MOSAIC’s forced marriage project staff.

Services include: Settlement Services, Multicultural Victim Services, Stopping the Violence (STV) Counselling, interpretation (for a fee)
Phone: 604-254-9626

Burnaby Family Life
Phone: 604-659-2200

Other forced marriage project websites and resources, including case studies:

South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario (SALCO)Tahirih Justice Center (United States)EVA BC
Case Studies: Who/If/When to Marry – It’s a Choice (toolkit for service providers)

Tahirih Justice Center (United States)EVA BC

Forced Marriage Unit (United Kingdom)

If there is an emergency situation, and you or someone you know is in immediate danger or medical distress, DIAL 911 for immediate assistance (police, ambulance).

Victim Link BC
Phone: 1-800-563-0808 (BC/Yukon)
Phone: 604-875-0885

Crisis Centre BC
Phone: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)

Kids help phone
Contact: 1-800-668-6868

Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) After Hours Services
Phone: 604-660-4927 (Vancouver)
604-660-8180 (Lower Mainland)

Ending Violence Association of BC
Directory of community-based anti-violence services in BC, including Community-Based Victim Services, Stopping the Violence Counselling programs, Stopping the Violence / Multicultural Outreach programs, and sexual assault / woman assault centres. Surrey office

Community Coordination for Women’s Safety (CCWS)
Interagency Case Assessment Teams (ICATs).
Surrey office

Ending Violence Association of Canada (EVA CAN)
Directory of anti-violence resources across Canada.
Website: www.endingviolencecanada.orgWebsite:

BC Housing

BC Society of Transition Houses
Current directory of transition houses and safe homes in BC.

Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General, Government of British Columbia
Complete list of community-based and police-based victim services in BC.

Police Victim Services BC
Phone: 1-877-869-0720

Lawyer Referral ServicesBC Society for Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse
Phone: 604-687-3221

Legal Services Society (Vancouver)
LSS can support service providers with LSS community resources, LSS services for clients, free publications about the law and reports on public legal education.
Directory of Legal Aid offices in BC.
Phone: 1-866-577-2525
Refugee Claim Flow chart:

Global Affairs Canada offers Canadian citizens travelling or living abroad a range of consular services through its embassies, consulates, high commissions and other Canadian government offices abroad [].

If you are overseas and require assistance, you can contact the nearest Canadian embassy, consulate or high commission.  A list of Canadian government offices is available at

The Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa can also assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week [].

Phone: From outside Canada, call +1 613 996 8885 (call collect where available)
From inside Canada, call 613-996-8885 or 1-800-387-3124 (toll-free from U.S. and Canada only).

Registration of Canadians Abroad, a free service for Canadians travelling or living abroad: